Wednesday 24 August 2011

Johnny Rad and the Jordanairs!!!


Today we talk about the head band at the Blue Tile Lounge, Johnny Rad and the Jordanairs. or John Rad If you know him personally.This was the brainchild of Skateboard legend, and genius Stacy Peralta. Like the clever surfer he is he hires an actor from Hollywood to play Johnny and the rest is history.

My question is I wonder if he had any idea that the movie would be so successful, or that people would gravitate to Johnny Rad as some sort of cult icon? Regardless the smooth grooves that Johhny lets loose with the assistance of his back up band the Jordanairs, are still strong in my mind today, 20 some odd years later. Perhaps its talent or the 1000 times I have seen the Chin movie, regardless they are great.

Today Johnny's songs are a way for me to drive my beautiful wife crazy.........but in actual fact I like them all.

Johnny Rad's mid song witty banter would crack me up soo much,he would slip into his grooves, " you like to sk8 to school, skating to school is fun isn't it" but more importantly was his moves, when Johnny starts a dancing make some room, or you might get a sk8 shuffle right in the face.  

Regardless if you are ever on the look out for Commander Fun, the allusive Animal Chin don't hesitate to head on down to the Blue Tile Lounge......and ask the Radman to let you in on a little secret.

1 comment:

  1. Johnny Rad plays the midnight set @ TRiP in Santa Monica Friday July 12th 2013. No cover, free parking. Have you seen him ?

    ReplyDelete