Tuesday 5 July 2011

Grosso decks kill!


Well today's blog, is on the infamous Jeff Grosso, and more importantly why his board shapes  always kill. 


Maybe its the years he has killed it as a pro, experience or whatever...regardless I have ridden a ton of his boards going back to the Schmitt Stix days with the 1980's rag doll, and Santa Cruz demon decks (if that is what they are called?) to the more recent ones on Black Label Emergency, and looking for the new Antihero (not yet tested, but I'm sure its sick)


All though Grosso kills (and I'm not disputing this fact and it is a fact), I'm not one to fan out about a pro skater, all I can say is I had the rag doll deck back in the day and it ripped, so I got the demon deck, it ripped too, and going on to 20 + years later and as many Grosso boards as I could get my hands on. I still cannot think of one I didn't like.......is it the squared off nose? I don't know. It just feels right under foot. 


Responsive and always there.... those are the words that come to mind. Usually around a 33 or 34inch long, gives the perfect feel and ride to my session. If you are down for skating FAST, this deck wont let you down.


Keep in mind I have not kick-flipped since 1990, so this plays a factor. If I was out there doing flipity flaps, I might think differently, but when small wheels big pants and the rest of it happened, I never made the "switch" ha ha get it switch-stance, anyways I grew up on a 5 mile hill, the first "new school" board I got excited about had flat spots 2 minutes into the bomb, and if i cant bomb the hill to the bus stop at the bottom, whats the point...so like I said never made the switch......hence why his shapes rip, they are light but a throw back to decks of yesterday. 


Now I can contribute a lot of this to the manufactures. I stick to a few companies, that I respect and they usually keep me happy, but I have had decks in the past that were rad one day, then the next model sucked!


How involved is Grosso in the design, perhaps that is it. he is bringing in special glues and formulas long lost to the china board syndrome plaguing the industry. Like a mad scientist piecing together perfection with every measure, and with a final bolt of lightning (BLAMMO) the deck is done....


regardless If you get the chance to buy one DO IT...they rip, and always have...Thanks Grosso!

















Check Grosso's loveletters to skateboarding! always good.





2 comments:

  1. Favourite deck when I was a kid. The first Grosso on Schmitt Stix with the doll playing with the blocks. I gave one of my old decks to Julian Garner for his wall.

    ReplyDelete